Wednesday 5 July 2017

WOYWW...

Happy Wednesday everyone.  I decided after the last craft sale [having not sold a single item] to have a break from making items just to fill my really useful boxes as they are already full with items waiting for customers to buy and decided to make something to raise some money for a local charity so that's what I'm sharing with you today.....

You may remember the eye spy quilt I made last year for my 5 [now 6] grandchildren to play with when they come to Nanny Annie's.  They have really loved it and it has been well played with by all...the smallest are happy just to lie on it but there is so much that can be learnt when playing eye spy with it.....colours, numbers, shapes, etc etc so I decided to make another one.


Here are some of the 4" squares of fabric being cut out.  I decided that 7 x 8 would be a good size so 42 squares later.....


I mixed up the colours etc and stitched them into 7 rows of 8 squares then arranged them on my table so that no two adjoining squares matched and then stitched the rows together.



I then cut and attached a border around the sides and found wadding and backing to fit.  I used what was left in a spray can of temporary fabric adhesive to hold the layers together and pinned the layers well before quilting it all together. I used a stitch in the ditch method to quilt it so that each square stands out.


I like to make the backing fabric big enough so it can be turned over to make a binding all round the edges.  I've folded this over twice and pinned in place mitering the corners before stitching in place with a decorative stitch.

Ta da!  It's finished now so I've just got to find a charity to give it to.

I plan to take orders if anyone would like one making but thought I would make a 10 x 10 grid on a large sheet of paper for people to pay £1 per square and this one would then raise £100 for a worthy cause.

I've loved making this one so may make another as I'm not short of suitable fabric. 😁😁😁😁

Thanks for calling by today.  I will do my best to pay you a return visit....there were a few I didn't get to last week and I'm sorry for that but will try hard to visit as many as I can.
Hugs,
Annie x

19 comments:

KC'sCourt! said...

The quilt is gorgeous, and what a lovely idea.
I also did a craft fair once and sold nothing, I won'r say how disappointed I was.

Julie xxxxxxx

Lunch Lady Jan said...

It's a beautiful quilt, a real work of art! I so enjoy putting the fabrics together for a project like that but the quilting and backing bit does my head in...I know, weird!!! And thank you for the offer of the food parcels, that made me laugh :-D
Hugs LLJ 5 xxx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Annie, I'm gutted for you over the craft sale. Your makes are just so gorgeous I can't understand why you didn't sell out! It's a funny old world. Anyway, I love your 'eye spy' quilt - the colours and patterns are just perfect for little ones. You might find your local Special Care Baby Unit or Children's Hospital would love to have the quilt, not to mention any donation raised. Have a lovely WOYWW. Hugs, Ellie x #17

Anne said...

Hi Annie. I feel your pain re the Craft Fair. I've been there and done that and after last Christmas have more or less decided I will not do another,
The quilt is fabulous! Have a good week. Anne x # 13 (at the moment :-) )

Claire said...

I am always so impressed by quilters - it's a fabulous skill!
Happy WOYWW!
Claire no.9

sandra de said...

Beautiful quilt and sounds like you have come up with a great fund raising idea. It is always so disappointing to see that people are not prepared to pay for good quality handmade products and yet will pay out for plastic rubbish. Have a great week sewing
sandra de @24

Julia Dunnit said...

Ta Da! Just like that, you almost say! Not ina million years at this house, I can tell you! It's lovely, and I'm sure will be much used. Love the idea of the £1 a square one too. Don't despair over the craft fairs...its not personal. I think its two things - people expect home made to be practically free, and you just haven't found the right craft fair yet!

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Annie, love the quilt, what a smashing way to entertain the kiddies!And a great way to use up little pieces of fabric.Love the charity idea too, such a fab way to raise some cash.Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #11 XxX

Anonymous said...

Happy WOYWW. Craft fairs - I have given up on them, as a seller and also a buyer sadly, although if you had a stall at one local to me, I would be there buying! Your eye spy quilt is fantastic. What a lovely idea. I sold my sewing machine to a neighbour last year, as I wasn't using it, and also gave away my fabric stash. I had to admit to myself that sewing was never going to be one of my skills (along with many other crafts!). Ali x #25

Bubbles said...

Stunning quilt - and a fantastic idea behind it too :)
Have a wonderful Wednes-YAY!
Bubbles #7
https://patchworkapples.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/woyww-422.html

SUSSEXMOUSE said...

This is wonderful. I must try making one for my Grandson. He is only a month old so I should have time to make one before he is ready for it. Marion

Jan said...

Happy WOYWW #422 thanks for sharing xx Jan (31)

May said...

What a fantastic idea... how fabulous I spy quilt... the children would love this... My Grandson is 3 so I might see what kind of fabric I Have in my stash... Love it... Have a happy week ahead.... May#4

Bernice said...

A beautiful quilt - I'd never heard of an eye spy quilt before!! I do craft fairs form time to time and they can be really disappointing - but don't give up - maybe Christmas would be a better time when people are looking for something different for presents.
Bernice #22

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Gorgeous Annie and a brilliant assortment of fabrics. I sometimes think that people go to Craft Fairs and do lots of looking but not so much buying. Have a great woyww and a happy crafty week, Angela x16x

April said...

What a lovely quilt. As someone who 'quilts' and I use the term loosely - I have great respect for those who do it well. :-)
April #8

craftyani said...

Wow what a beautiful quilt never thought of using adhesive spray. Have a productive week. Anickoana #3

Lindart said...

I love that eye-spy quilt - what a great idea! I'm sorry nothing sold at your last craft sale, how disappointing, hopefully the next one will make up for it! Thanks for sharing (sorry for being late!), Lindart #37

Neet said...

d but I seem to have not been here on as this quilt is a surprise to me - and what a glorious surprise it is. Love what you have done. Hope you find somewhere suitable for it as there is love in every stitch, I am sure.
Hugs, Neet 10 xx