Wednesday 25 January 2017

WOYWW...

So here we are at another Wednesday catch up of the creative desks around the world....do pop over to The Stamping Ground and our leader, Julia if you want to know more.  It's my fav day of the week because we all get chance to peep into the lives of others and the wonderful talents they share.

Last week I surprised a few by sharing my little painted peg dolls.....Our daughter Amy came for a visit on Sunday with her three little munchkins and the fun they had with the new little characters was worth every minute painting them.....and they recognised them all  😅😅😅

This week I'm back to my sewing.  The overlocker I had repaired week before last was first used last Friday and guess what?.....It didn't work!!!!  So Saturday saw me taking it back for a further repair and thankfully I was able to use it to shorten a bridesmaids dress on Monday...phew!  As my machine has been used most days for many years it is now showing signs of wear so I have now ordered a replacement overlocker that hopefully will arrive this week.  I need to be able to rely on my machines and I was so thankful the bridesmaids dress I was shortening didn't have to be ready for collection last Friday.

Januaries are always my quietest month for customers sewing so this week I have allowed myself a little time to learn new techniques.  My newest sewing machine came with several feet that up til now I had never had time to try out so I have been using a quilting foot and the walking foot this week.  I have been wanting to have a go at free machine quilting for a while so I decided to make a fabric box to hold my special fat quarters in instead of the paper bag they were hidden away in.



I decided how big I wanted it to be and made myself a paper pattern.  I next cut out lining, main fabric and wadding all the same size.


I decided to use the bits I cut out of the 'H' shape to practise on and here's the back of my first piece ....as they say practise makes perfect and I have a way to go yet lol.



Here's the front of the same piece and as you can see because I used green thread it doesn't look so bad.....so I then quilted the main fabric onto the wadding of the actual pieces [getting better as I went].


I made the box up and lined it with toning purple lining and I have to say I'm rather pleased with the result....it's definitely better than a paper bag don't you think?

I can now have my fat quarters out on show so they will probably get a little more stroking now and I may even be tempted to use some of them. 😃😃😃




I hope you have enjoyed your visit today....I've just taken some fruity flapjack out of the oven and my kitchen smells wonderful......It's cool enough now for you to help yourselves to a piece to have with your cuppa whilst you're catching up on your blogging friends.....enjoy x


I will do my best to pop over to yours as soon as I can to check out what you've been up to.  Have a great week.
Hugs,
Annie x

16 comments:

jill said...

I haven't made flapjacks for years.
I used to make it when my son was little . Sadly we can't eat anything like that now .
What a good box you've made .
Happy woyww Jill #4

glitterandglue said...

Morning Annie. What a game you have had with your machines over the past couple of weeks! Hopefully all will be sorted by the time your new overlocker arrives - but what fun you have had in the meantime... Like the box - and that flapjack looks delicious. I'd love some - but unfortunately I can't as it has fruit in it... Oh well - hot chocolate it will just have to be instead! Have a great week.
Take care. God bless.
Margaret #3

sandra de said...

The fabric box looks brilliant. I am always amazed at how you sew up a storm as if it was easy.
sandra de @23

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Annie, that fabric box is gorgeous! Love the flowery fabric. Can totally understand that you need your machines to be reliable, and I suppose all equipment reaches a point when that's just not the case anymore. Here's hoping your new one gives you many years of service! The cake looks very tasty! Have a lovely week, Hugs, Shaz #5 XxX

Anne said...

Your fabric box is a delight! I can't sew and am always amazed at how people organise and work their sewing spaces! Mmm flapjacks look great....shall I give you my postal addy?... Just in case any is going spare! Happy WOYWW! Anne #7

Sharon said...

Lovely flowery fabric. I love the box you made - it's beautiful! I'm glad you were able to get the machine fixed.

Happy WOYWW
Sharon K #35

Neet said...

Glad you enjoyed my funny little email.
Love your new box, that is very clever and how tidy your fat quarters are now.
Hugs and thanks for visiting me
Neet 2 xx

Unknown said...

I made brownies last night, gone in one evening! I keep all my fat quarters in my fabric home made boxes, they look so much nicer than anything else and its so much easier to find the fabric you want.. Dx #39

lilian said...

Lovely box you are clever it looks great,

Happy WOYWDW Lilian B #17

Unknown said...

I love the box you have made, you're sew clever! Really wish I could sew like that! Happy WOYWW! Sez x #24

Helen said...

I love flapjacks, thanks very much! Love your fat quarter storage, you are so clever! gorgeous fabric, too. Helen #1

Lynn Holland said...

Wish I'd got here earlier I'm partial to a bit of homebaking and I think your new bag is smashing.
Thanks for your support Annie it's meant a lot xxx

Lindart said...

What a great little box! I love those little squares of fabric - I know what you mean by stroking them every once in awhile - I do that with my stack of books to read!It's the anticipation of what's to come! Yes please, I would like a slice. . .! Thanks for sharing! Lindart #48

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Annie, loving your new box. The quilting looks lovely and brings back fond memories for me as I did my dissertation at college on Quilting and still love it just don't do much now but have loads of
quilting stored away in the loft some finished and some just waiting for the day when I feel in the mood to work on them again, who knows. Have a great woyww, Angela x 19

Twiglet said...

Don't know where Wednesday went!!! Well I do but I certainly didn't find any blogging time now did I!! That fabric box is lovely - perfect for the job. Keep stroking your fabric FQs xx Jo

BJ said...

Super quilted box, BJ#27